Thursday, May 9, 2013

Getting lost on the way

Brendon:
Christina had a hard time transtitioning to the third world so I decided to take her to the capital and find a nice hostal.  I had heard of one online called the Magic Bean so I called them and made reservations.  We left our big packs with the Family Cordova and told them we would be back on Friday.  It was the first time by ourselfes and we were a bit lost.

We went to the center of Otavalo in order to take a bus to Quito and when we got to the terminal they told us the last bus had already taken off.  Luckily they explained we could catch one on the freeway.  So we ran off to the freeway and waited in the rain for a bus to come by, we saw Quito on one and waved it down.  We didn´t think anything was going to come but luckily after about 20 minutes we saw our first bus to quito.  Christina was worried the bus would drop us off in the middle of no where but I assured her it would take us all the way to the terminal in Quito.

Two hours later I noticed everyone was getting off the bus and realized it was going all the way to the Terminal.  We ended up getting off in the middle of no where with no idea where we were.  We waved down the first taxi and told him roughly where the Hostal was.  I didn´t understand the guy on the phone and din´t get the correct directions.  He dropped us off and we decided to walk around to see if we would find anything, luckily Christina noticed the ¨Magic Bean Restaurant¨ which ended up also being the Hostal.  It was crazy to say the least!!!!!

The place was perfect though, we got a private room, a shower with hot water, and even a small kitchen.  It cost $40 but was well worth it.



Christina:
So the bus ride to Quito was complete and utter hell, to say the least. We walked through the drizzling rain and humidity and waited for the bus. Oh, BTW, when you cross a street in Ecuador, you run. Or you´ll get run over. Pretty much. Continuing....when the bus got there this little latin boy jumped out and started screaming things in Spanish, which apparently was him telling people to hurry up on and off the bus. The bus stops for literally six seconds or so and then leaves with or without you. The bus was PACKED and we had to pretty much sit on the floor. This bus was pretty much falling apart too, very scary quality. I almost lost my balance. Made me daydream a little, falling out of the bus and all, breaking my neck or landing head first out of the bus....anyway....the bus sped to where we got off and then we waited for another bus. To our happiness, this one was SO NICE. Like a charter bus. So we rode that for close to 2 hours or so. The whole time pretty much consisted of me crying and whining and being worried we were going to die. Brendon PROMISED me that the bus would take us to a bus station that was safe. Well, he lied.
The bus ended up kicking us off at some bus stop in the dark at night, making us call for a taxi.

Brendon was so wonderful though. But he also pissed me off because he failed to plan everything correctly. We were headed to a hostel and he didn´t really know where it was. So the taxi dropped us off in the middle of nowhere, pretty much, and I luckily noticed a cafe called ¨The Magic Bean¨which had the same name as our hostel. When we looked the hostel up online, I remember it saying that it was a hostel and cafe, so I told Brendon that. He didn´t remember that, so I take credit in saving the day. Luckily, it was our hostel, and we didn´t die.
The hostel has been REALLY NICE. Love it. Hot water, own bathroom, enough said.


No comments:

Post a Comment