After 3 planes and almost 24 hours we are here in Ecuador. It was raining when we arrived and got into a car with some members and they took us to their home which was over 2 hours away. Their house was wonderful, a little cold, but we slept well. They live out in the mountains with their pigs, cows, and dogs.
We hadn´t prepared for the cold and wet so Christina was pretty miserable that night. They gave us a room in their house and we slept pretty well. We let them know we wanted to sleep in so we didn´t wake up till 11 the next morning.
Today was just a relaxing day and we hung out with the family and slept some more. The family killed a couple guinie pigs and we had lunch :). Christina had a leg and didn´t even complain at all. We are now off to Quito.
Christina:
So we finally got to Ecuador after forever, and it´s actually kind of funny, being at an internet place and all, all of my words have the red squiggly line underneath, saying my words are misspelled because I´m not typing in Spanish.
Anyways.....after the long plane rides and all, we finally got here. The Panama airport was sketchy in itself. I am used to the nice public restrooms in the US when it comes to airports with like 100 stalls in them. This one had three stalls in the one girl´s bathroom I could find. A line of 15 women outside the door and I had to throw my used toilet paper in the trashcan. Not used to that, haha. But eh, life moves on.
Flew for two hours to Ecuador and had to go through the lines using my passport. Brendon had warned me about people in Ecuador and people to avoid. Racism aside, he said that the black guys that roam around at night are usually the bad ones and do all the robbing for the most part. So, we sat next to this black guy on the plane. When we got off, apparently he asked Brendon for 20 bucks, which he of course said no. Thank God that was it.
We drove for 2 hours into the mountains where it was cold and rainy. His friend Richard and his brothers picked us up. We saw a little store that his family ran and we went to an internet place to email family that we got here. Then, we drove up to Richard´s house.
It was WAYYYY better than I was expecting. It was very nice and I liked it a lot.
The only crazy thing was the bathroom. It was an outhouse, which I was surprised with, but to my great surprise, they had semi warm water! So the showers were bareable :)
We slept in Richard´s sister´s room, which was made and prepared for us and it was great. The only problem this whole time was the humidity. Soooo bad. So bad that Brendon´s passport warped and the pages are all bent now.
Oh, and I ate guinea pig. heh, I didn´t expect it to taste bad, and it didn´t. But the meat on it, dang that was tough. They even had me try the skin of it, which was crunchy as can be. It was like a really ridiculously hard chip. I almost gagged a couple times, and it took be what seemed like a year to eat the whole thing, but I got it down and finished.
NEVER AGAIN.
Then, off to Quito, but that´s another story...
Here are some pictures from our day:
Here´s the guinea pig, cooking and all. Sorry it´s gross,
but hey, we Americans do the same thing with chicken.
Head of the guinea pig cooked
The house of the wonderful family that is letting
us stay with them.
The bathroom.
Christina inside the bathroom






No comments:
Post a Comment